Friday, August 31, 2012

Read the Directions

3rd Week: check

Where has the time gone?? I am equally amazed that the time has flown by and thankful that each day ends when it does. God clearly knew what He was doing when He created days. We have 24 hours in the day. Approximately 6.5 of those are spent at school. (students, at least; teachers, much more) Boy am I glad when that 2:30pm bell rings and I walk my kiddos out to carpool. Good-bye.

Until the next day at 8am.

That's the beauty of each day. It's brand new. We get to chose how we spend it. What do you do? Mine consists of spelling words, math facts, Roman numerals, the Associative and Commutative Properties of Addition, capitalization rules, comma rules, the proper way to write cursive, the nervous system....I will stop before I mention all the random things my students share with me on a daily basis :) Then after my day ends, the other part begins. Thankfully, my aides help by scoring most of the students' work for me and I can jut go over it quickly to see if I need to review more on a certain area. The days go smoothly. Except when someone misses half of their Language questions because they underlined the word that needed to be capitalized instead of circling it. They didn't read the directions. Then it gets erased and they do it again. To me, it's slightly frustrating. But I think I am that way too. Not necessarily about school, but other places. So often I forget to read my Directions. It's called the Bible. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. It's called Prayer. It's called Godly friends and family you can talk  to. Those things are my Directions and to my chagrin, I realize that I don't read.follow them like I should. Daily I need help. My fellow teachers are an invaluable asset to me and I realize now that I did not understand the depth of work that my teachers did for me while I was in school. So now, I say, "Thank-you." For all the behind-the-scenes work you did, and for teaching me how to read the directions on my work.

Oh, and I learned that sometimes it's ok to forgo the schedule of time for a certain subject to make sure they understand the concept. Such as when the I in front of the V in Roman numerals it means 5-1. It seems like a "Duh, Lydia" moment to most of you, but I am a schedule-oriented person. Or at least a person who "does lists." The learning process never ends, even when you become the teacher. I "knew" that when I started; boy was I wrong. I really don't think you ever stop learning. Not really, anyway. Teaching definitely keeps your brain moving. That's why I am so exhausted every night. I'm brain tired. Staying one step ahead of 11 kids all day is tiring. But I love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. At least not yet. Check back with me when I am trying to teach the 4th graders long division.

My list for Labor Day weekend is:
> do the 6 or so things you need to get done
> sleep
> read some of the new book you got
> sleep
> read
> go to church
> sleep
> read
> sleep
Common theme?? Anyone? Anyone at all?? If you said sleep, YOU WIN A PRIZE!! Although I am not sure I have anything to give. Hope you all enjoy your 3-day weekend!! Unless you are an almond farmer...or just don't have the day off. Then you can think of me and all the sleep my body will be accumulating. Wouldn't it be neat if we could somehow store it?! Ok, I'm rambling now because my brain needs sleep at this present moment. (dramatic pause) Thank-you, and goodnight.

                                                                                                        ~Miss Kelley


No comments:

Post a Comment