Friday, September 14, 2012

Ramblings

I enjoy my weekends more now than I did when I was actually a student. Ahhhh....I'm sitting in a LazyBoy with the foot-rest up trying to literarily (is that a word?) convey to you my deep appreciation for the weekends. I might be slightly insane...
...I admit it...
...for attempting to take a History 102 class on Thursday nights from 630-930. Trying to focus on learning instead of teaching is something to get used to! But since I love history so much, I think it will turn out ok. I mean, do you know what was the downfall of Andrew Johnson's Presidency? The only reason Johnson wasn't assassinated with Lincoln is because their wives couldn't stand each other and Johnson and his wife didn't go to Ford's theater that night? That there were at one time 3 fractions in the Republican Party? Oh, I love learning obscure facts that the general public doesn't know. I'll stop with the random tidbits. For now. As my high school English/History teacher would say, "Now, if the lady behind you in line at WalMart taps me on the shoulder and asks yme what the three parts of the Republican Party were in 1868 were, I will be able to tell her."

Republican Party....that reminds me....one of my girls told me the other day that she was going to send a letter to President Obama. I asked her what she was going to say, and she said that she didn't know. Then a boy said he was going to send Mitt Romney a letter if he got elected. Hmmm....how much are you supposed to discuss politics with 3-4 graders? I am sometime too involved/educated about politics, but I don't think it's bad to be informed. It is very comforting to know that God will put into power the man He sees fit, the man who He wants there. And we don't need to worry. Although at times, it is hard to when our leaders are openly trampling over anything moral and godly, forbidding any reference to God, or declaring that our country doesn't have Christian roots. Excuse me, but maybe you need to take a History 101 class. Even secular historians realize this fact. Anyways...I feel relieved that I don't have to make a decision who to vote for. God will take care of that. Praying for whoever God places as head of our country is our duty. I learned three things in high school about our "civil duties":
Pray- for our leaders, no matter the party they represent.
Pay- our taxes.
Obey- the laws unless they contradict God's Word.

Another thing I realized this week is that, if I calculated correctly, my students were not alive when the events of September 11, 2001 occurred. That made me feel old. I was alive and well and remember all too well getting news of the attacks and watching the news on tv. Each year I remember it and all the people who lost a loved one. And I say a prayer. They are gone, but never forgotten in my mind. I also remember the day we got news of Osama bin Laden's death, the mastermind behind those attacks. As an American, I felt relief that he was dead, no longer able to coordinate terrorist attacks. As a Christian, I wondered where his soul was spending eternity. In heaven with his promised 7 virgins, or in the pit of hell. Or did he come to know the saving power of Christ and claim it for his own? In God's eyes, we are all the same. It doesn't matter how "bad" we are. If we haven't accepted the saving grace through Christ's blood, we aren't spending eternity with Him.
Prayer. Sometimes it's the only thing we can do.

                                                Hoping to stay awake through singing tonight,
                                                                                                Miss Kelley

No comments:

Post a Comment