Thursday, September 20, 2012

THEY GOT IT!!!!!

Subtraction.

This past week we have been dealing with 2-3 digit subtraction in the 3rd grade. Things were plugging along quite nicely with problems such as 38 - 9 where they had to cross out the 8 and make it 18 because you took a 10 from the 3, then they cross out the 3 and make it a 2 because they used it to make 18. So the answer would be 29.  Easy.

3 digits- Not So Easy.


On we moved to problems such as 205 - 136. so we start at the ones place. We cross out the 5 and make it a 15. then we cross out the 0 and make it a 10. Then we cross out the 2 and make it a 1 because we took it to make the 10. Then we had to go back and cross out the 10 and make it a 9 because we renamed it to make 15. (If you don't understand, my brain is a bit fried from explaining it so much) The answer would be 69. Sound easy, right? But for the life of them, they could not understand the concept of going all the way over to the hundreds place to rename the tens place when needed. AND they need to cross out the 10 to make a 9 when needed. Then they started renaming numbers when they didn't need to....my poor, Math-hindered brain was frustrated. Yes, I admit it. Not frustrated at them, but frustrated because I wasn't explaining it in a way so that they could  understand it. Frustrated, because I felt like a failure. 

So, we fixed the incorrect problems, and started over. 

We did two extra "made-up" pages during the week and yesterday, they did their chapter reviews. To my shock, the most anyone missed was 5. Compared to like 12 on Tuesday. YAY. I was still apprehensive as they took their test today, praying they would understand the concept so that they could miss less than 5 on their tests. 

I scored the tests................................................................................................

And to my delight, and relief, the lowest grade was a 87% or 89%, I don't remember. CAN I GET A FIST BUMP?? I was floored. The extra time spent reviewing the concepts paid off. I believe 4 of them even scored 100%!! Praise God. I knew this day would come, when teaching something would be a challenge and would need extra review. I learned again, how much a I need God's help on a day-to-day basis.  I give Him the glory. It was not me who got into their heads and made them understand it. The dots connected. The lights went on. And the message went through. I need Him every day.

                                                                                        Your new subtraction expert,
                                                                                                       Miss Kelley 


On a completely unrelated note, I can't wait to pack Good&Evil books tomorrow night, sew with friends and go to the Chicken BBQ on Saturday, and go to Youngfolks Sunday. I love weekends.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for sewing with friends! (THAT'S ME!! HURRAY!!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia you are doing awesome!!! You are a good teacher because you are a TEACHABLE teacher - willing to admit when it miiiight not be the student's fault. :} They WILL get it, sometimes it just takes some extra time that will be well worth it! Keep it up :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! So happy--because I know how you feel: two of mine have struggled with Math and it is so rewarding to see the light go on :)

    ReplyDelete